About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

at a loss

In about a week, it will be 4 months. 4 months since Christine died.

It's been a long and hard 4 months. Nothing feels the same anymore. I've made some big decisions in my life and done a lot of soul searching. A lot of thinking about how I want to live my life, and how I promised myself in her death that I would live better.

A few weeks ago I talked to her mom. It took me several months to make the call- and in hearing her mom's voice, just hearing her smile and how genuinely pleased she was that I called, it tore open any healing I may have done. It's ok, there's hasn't been much. We shared some funny stories and it was nice to know that my funny stories about Christine, she had also shared with her family. It was comforting to me to know, and to hear it from someone else that I meant as much to her as she did to me.

As adults, and especially as colleagues, we are sometimes hesitant to express our emotions and how much we truly care for each other. At my old office, there was one department who would hug at the end of the day when they all walked out together. I experienced this just a few times, and even though I hugged with the group, I admit I drove away thinking how strange it was. It's just the end of the work day. What were we hugging for?? Now, I think maybe they knew what so many others didn't. That when you're friends, and EVEN when you're colleagues it's important to openly appreciate other people. I sometimes wonder if she knew how much
I appreciated her. I know that I didn't tell her often enough.

I think about her all the time. Very few things happen that I don't wonder what she'd think about that. I'm on the verge of making a big change and I keep running it over and over in my head because I can't tell her about it. I won't get her famous, "well... wait a minute." Which she always did whenever I was doing anything I might regret. She always saw something different, she never 'didn't consider' anything.

Maybe it's because I so badly need her advice and support right now, or maybe it's because so many of my favorite TV shows deal with cancer.. but she's always on my mind it seems. There's always this heavy weight that I feel and I know it's because I miss her. Sometimes- something will cross my mind and I will thing to call her. Sometimes I even reach for the phone. It's then that I wonder, did I forget? Did I forget that she's gone and is that why I want to talk to her because I stopped thinking about her? How did I stop thinking about her? How did I forget that she's dead?

I am so out of sorts. So disconnected from my own life. Distracted, depressed and angry. I move forward because I have to, but it's with little passion, little conviction. Nothing feels as good as it used to, and I don't laugh without feeling just a little guilty about it.

Is anything ever going to feel normal again?

1 comment:

Trixie said...

PIVOT, PIVOT! :)