About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, August 08, 2011

Confusing Dreams

I have so much work to do, and yet all I can do is think to write.

Last night I had a dream that I was in NYC and I got into a cab, and the guy drove and drove and I ended up in Maryland.  Maryland of all places, where I've never been before.  So he says "we're here" and I knew I wasn't where I was supposed to be.  I was in Maryland, I somehow KNEW I was in Maryland, even though I have never been there before.

The driver would not take me back to New York and I had to get out of the cab.  We were at some sort of liquor store, and I got out of the car and went close to the store and picked up my cell phone.  It was dead.  No battery.  I had no charger- and where would I have plugged it in anyway?

I thought, "Stacy lives here in Maryland"  surely she will come get me, even if it's hours away from where she is.  I grabbed my phone again, seeing a pay phone up ahead.  Of course, the phone was dead.  I couldn't even get her number off the phone.  There was a phone book so I picked it up, then remembering that Stacy's last name is like Jones or Nguyen.  A million people have a last name like that.  So I couldn't call her.

It occurred to me then, that everyone thought I was in New York.  That nobody knew I had been dropped off in Maryland, and I had no way of contacting anyone.  I was stuck, alone, nobody would find me, I couldn't let anyone know where I was.  I was stranded, in Maryland.

I'm not sure what it means.  Why Maryland, and why wouldn't the NY cabbie drive me back?  I was just lost and alone and I don't even know why I was there in the first place.  Why would I have asked to come to Maryland?

Anyway, I woke up a little irritated by the whole dream, still trying to figure out what it's a metaphor for.  I don't feel lost, or alone, or abandoned.  I feel fine.  Why did I find myself lost in a strange place?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're being taken to a place, not necessarily against your will, but a place you are unfamiliar with, yet have heard of. You are being taken there by someone who knows how to get there, yet isn't giving you any explanation, letting you believe you want to be there. You are not frightened but feel a little lost and are trying to reach out to a friend for guidance, but this friend is not easily reachable.