About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

smoking or non smoking?

I started smoking when I was about 15.  I used to steal my mom's Capri's cause they were so cute and then my dad's Marlboro's.  My sister used to smoke Benson and Hedges Delux Ultra Light 100's Menthol and for many years that was my cigarette of choice.  If I am going to buy a pack now, that is usually what I will buy- except that they are about $7.

I have stopped and started about 25 times in my 25 years of smoking.  I would smoke and then stop for months, or even years- maybe having a hit or two depending on who I was with and if they were smokers.  My first and second husband was and is a smoker.  My boyfriend is a smoker too.

I can say my first time to really stop was before my oldest was born, that was when they put that whompin tax on tax on cigarettes and they went from $2.50 to $5 bucks.  So I pretty much stopped buying them for several years until I met my current husband, and then I would smoke 3 or 4 a day.  Up to a pack a day if I am with smokers, or in New York.

When I met Chris, he was smoking electronic cigarettes and cutting back on regular ones.  I tried it out, and thought it was pretty cool.  He had two of them so he let me use the other one when we were out.  Then I bought my own, a different brand and one for my husband.  At this time Chris was thinking I should not be smoking at all as it became clear that I was not just smoking when I was with him.  I was starting to smoke regular cigarettes as well.  After much arguing about that, with both Chris AND my husband, I agreed to just smoke the electronic ones.  Well the brand I bought for my husband and I, well, I didn't like it much so I hijacked Chris'- since he went back to regular cigarettes full time.

What I love about them is that I can smoke them anywhere.  It's not smoke so technically I can smoke it in a restaurant, in my office and other 'non smoking areas'.  It's vapor, it doesn't smell like anything .  So my clothes don't smell, and either does my breath.  They have fancy flavors like the one I'm enjoying now- coconut.  I love my e-cig and that I'm not taking in all the 'crap' that goes with regular cigarettes.  No tobacco, no tar.  Just good old nicotine.  yah!!! Is it expensive?  not hardly.  Maybe $10 a month for new cartidges and I refill them with $10 refill that lasts for several months for both myself and my husband.

There is no HEALTHY electronic cigarette.  I'm not going to pretend there is.  There are some risks that I won't go into, you can google that.  The other down side, is also the upside.  I can do it anywhere.  So I do.  I admit I'm hitting that e-cig like a crackpipe.  I suspect I'm taking in more nicotine than if I was smoking regular cigarettes less often.  I can, and will start getting the refill liquid with less concentrations of nicotine, maybe down to the lowest amount of 8mg, as opposed to 36mg, which is the highest.  Maybe even eventually 0 which would just be vapor and flavor.

If you want to quit smoking, I think this can be helpful, but I admit for me- it got me smoking again- just without all the obvious negative side effects.  So I'm a smoker, but then... not really.  Well, ok- kinda.

4 comments:

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

Thats just it, why offer a electronic cigarette that still keeps you addicted to nicotene? Unless it's the act of smoking that appeals to you, the best way to quit is cold turkey.

Pharmacy Wholesaler said...

Very Nice though on smoking. This can make everyone healthy and fitness to achieve their healthy life.
Have a nice day, Thanks

Pharmacy Dropshipping said...

Great post on health care, its very easy to read and understand for anyone, This is great effort made by you for healthy fitness,
Thank you for great support

Maia Dobson said...

Smoking only gives you all the negative things and deadly diseases. My dentist Marietta ga says that it gives bad breath and yellow teeth that's why I never tried it. If you are addicted to smoking, try to look for alternatives like e-cigarette.