About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

evidence of the crime

I got a letter in the mail a month ago from my work saying that they had hired an outside human resource company to do dependent verification. I thought it meant that I was going to get a letter, confirming who my dependents are, based on who is being covered on my employee health insurance.

I got the official letter from this company last week. I set it aside until yesterday- when I thought that I had better pay attention to the due date, because it's very much like me to do that. What the letter states is that I need to come up with evidence, documents, to prove that these dependents are really mine. That I'm not paying for insurance for... someone elses husband and kids?

unlikely.

So I need to come up with birth certificates for my kids, to prove that they are MY kids. OK fine. I have those, and I can get one for Sarah- connection Sarah to her father- who is connected to me. Perhaps divorce papers showing that he is supposed to provide health insurance. Something like that.

Lastly- and what I find the most funny is that I need to come up with a Marriage Certificate for me and Mike. Hmmmmm.... I don't have this. I never did get an official copy. Was I supposed to? I don't remember. We got married out of state. No not Vegas, but close.

I remember the chapel we got married at. I don't remember applying for a marriage license. I'm sure we did.

Didn't we?

I have no clue. I suspect the nice man would not have married us if we didn't have all the proper forms- right? So I need to look in to this. Get a copy of this marriage certificate, cause I don't think I have one. I've never been asked to prove it before.

And isn't that strange....?

I've never been asked to PROVE that we are married. I want to say that I HAD to have it when I changed my social security number. However, if this was the case... I would know- and remember that I had this license in my possession. I had to look up where to get a copy. You'd think that I'd remember this information. I don't forget having things, I just forget where I put them.

Along with a marriage certificate- I also have to have something else. Some other statement of ownership. Tax forms. Something. I don't have this. We don't own anything together. We don't file taxes together. We don't bank together. You can't make me sign legal documents.

I signed the marriage license, this should be enough.
Wait.... did I?

So I have to prove in more ways that one that I married him. Is the exhaused and defeated look not enough? Is the fact that I actually PAY the medical bills not an indicator that I do it because I HAVE to. I'm nice, but I'm not so nice that I would do this for someone I wasn't legally obligated to do it for.

Ok fine. I will go ahead and get you your documents. We have a lease agreement on our apartment- that's the only thing that has both of our names on it. That and the marriage license we signed.

Apparently.

No comments: