About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, March 30, 2009

California Season

I often don't open my mouth when people are in conversation about the weather. I don't use the term weather as a metaphor for mundane topics. I mean, 'the weather'. People get really frustrated with my uneducated, and simplified meteorology/ weather tactics.

I'm from California. Born and raised, and very rarely have I ever left. I've lived probably 90% of my life (that's a fast calculation) living within 15 miles of the house I grew up in. My son is going to the Jr. High School I went to. I drive past my high school every day that I drive to work. Being from California- Southern California- things are different here. One thing that is different here, than it is in many other parts of the world, is the weather.

I would guess that it's usually between 60-85 degrees on any given day. That's what it seems like in MY world. A little research would tell me that the winter months are get down in the 40's, and of course we months get into three digits. In my little world, I'm cold when it's half a degree below 70. Just as the thermostat reaches 80, I'm hot. I think many (but not most) people who have always lived in California have always felt that way. We are climate controlled.

Weather snobs always piss me off. Those who tell me, "Oh you don't know cold." Ummm, yes I do. When I feel that chill on my skin and my nipples are sticking out through my very PADDED bra- I'm cold. Don't tell me I don't know cold. Maybe I've never had to walk through the snow, but you know- I live in Southern California. Don't blame ME for the awesome fucking weather here. I didn't create it, I just enjoy it so put on your snow boots and drudge away, Mr. McFreezy.

That being said, I was having a conversation with my best friend Ed who lives in Colorado, who started our most recent conversation with, "They said it wasn't going to snow, but it's fucking snowing."

"Is it supposed to snow this late in March?" I asked him? "If it's still snowing the first few months of spring, why don't they just change the damn dates of the seasons?"

My friends on the East Coast are still freezing thier pretty tits off as well. On Friday here in Cali, I swear it was 85 degrees. I made sure to tell them all about it. Winter is WAY over here- even though it was a very chilly 60 something degrees last night and probably in the 50's this morning. Winter is over.
O-VER

So as the conversation went, we identified the 'seasons'- of a non traveling, temperature controlled, California girl/ parent such as myself.

  • "Summer" starts on the 'last day of school', and ends on the 'first day of school'
  • "Winter" starts the Monday after Thanksgiving and ends around the December 28th. (Whatever day the Christmas Decorations start coming down.)

The rest of the time, is just California time.

It's all pretty simple. It's going to be about 72 degrees today. That seems about right for California Season this time of year.

2 comments:

D-Man said...

85 degrees! That's, like, almost catching on fire or something! If it gets to the 30s here, I die. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often.

:)

Lori M said...

Hey you! I'm dreaming of 85 degrees (although I saw on the forecast that you guys might get rain?). It's cold, gray, and about 41 degrees right now. DAMN cold.

Miss you bunches and bunches. Can't believe how long it's been since we've talked. Life is just going like a freight train here. I can tell it has been for you too. We gotta catch up. Been watching Idol? Whose your fave? I love ADAM. I'm watching Dancing w/ the Stars too. Love you!