About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sternberg says...?

Tonights reading in my Sex Ed class is about love and different theories of romantic love. People have done studies on the theories of love. Oh that's rich... So anyway we have Sternberg's Triangular Theory of Love which basically links Intimacy, Commitment and Passion and depending on what you have will equal the kind of love you have. Apparently it's best to have all three, duh. Here's a run down:


  • Intimacy + Passion = Romantic Love. No commitment, like a summer romance.
  • Passion + Commitment = Fatuous love. Commitment based on passion but no time for intimacy to develop, shallow, like a whirlwind courtship that eventually fades out.
  • Commiment + Intimacy = Companionate Love. Long Term committed friendship, such as a marriage in which the passion has faded.
  • Intimacy alone = Liking
  • Passion alone = Infatuation
  • Commitment alone = Empty Love
There are other theories, but I like this one.
So there you have it. I can now find out what was wrong with every relationship I've ever had. Viola! I am not emotionally retarded. Nor am I dead inside nor am I just an ice queen. My relationships lack intimacy. I'm not a perfectionist, maybe I'm just impatient.


I can commit and I can be passionate, but eventually I will start to hate most of the men I spend time with. I have said several times, "I love being married- it's my husband I can't stand."
---
I long for a man I won't hate. I'm not generally a man hater although there's a compelling argument there.
I have been called a maneater. But I think that is a whole different triangle theory.
Something to do with control and who gets to be on top the first time.
Guess who wins that one- every time??
You decide...
---
My mind is whirring tonight with dreams of...
Rob Lowe.
I was going to say something brilliant and smart there, and then I heard his voice.
Rob Lowe... on my TV.
Ah, the Gods are smiling on me.
---
Romantic love sounds lovely. Rob Lowe is lovely. I think I'd like to try passion and intimacy, with no commitment
with Rob Lowe.




Nobody said love was perfect, but that doesn't mean it isn't love- that sounds like a "Get out of slut free" card for me!!! Thank you Mr. Sternberg!

No comments: