About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Why I <3 Geeks

From Wikihow.com:

A geek is someone smart and intellectual. They're usually good with computers and do well in school. Nerds on the other hand, specialize. A nerd can tell you every fact known to man about the topic they specialize in. Nerds are generally somewhat obsessive in one particular area. You might even say they know "way too much" about the topic for any kind of practical application (e.g. memorizing about 300 digits of pi, or obsessive trivia knowledge of Star Trek).Geeks are usually less obsessive but still very knowledgeable in particular domains. Geeks are more associated with intelligence, while nerds are more associated with obsessive knowledge and trivia.

So now we know. I have a few friends that claim to be geeks. Proud ones. Now I know why. Cause they are known to be smart and intellectual, not obsessive and creepy.

I think a lot of the Geeks I know are actually nerds who know the difference, but they can, what's the word... hold back. True nerds simply don't know any better. Too concerned with pi. or Star Trek. Did I mention that I never saw the first Star Trek movie? Sorry.... I only saw the second one, cause the "adulterous bastard" liked it (I was going to call him the "10 inch bastard", but I thought that might be too much info.) So if I say that the second one is my favorite of all the Star Treks, it's cause it's the only one that I saw!! But you see, I can make conversation about it.

I personally love Geeks. They can fix my computer, and have decent conversation- and they are usually smart enough not to make me feel stupid for not knowing everything they know. And well, the geeks...ladies, they want to KNOW things- and they kind of obsess about it until they get it right. They don't like doing things wrong.

They are....ummmmm...thorough.

Amen to that.

1 comment:

D-Man said...

I was in the Dungeons and Dragons club and the Chess club at school.
But I was just there for the groupies.