About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, February 04, 2008

The "Who what why" for Super Tuesday

Last night at a superbowl party I was somewhat involved, meaning I asked questions, in a conversation regarding the two democratic candidates. I am not very politically conscious, and I could even go so far as to calling myself 'uninformed' - but I try to pay attention when it's important and I think it is a great privilege to be a part of the voting process. I am still undecided about tomorrow, and I like many Democrats like myself (meaning Democrat but widely uninvolved in todays politics) are unsure about which candidate to vote for tomorrow.

This converstion that I was somewhat involved in was with two socially, politically informed, conscious and responsible people that I have known for some time and respect for thier intelligence and not 'talking out of thier ass'edness. They both seemed very pro-Obama, and not exactly anti-Hilary, but somewhat untrusting, saying that she was very corporate minded and that is worrisome and perhaps she's simply a fast talker. He told me a little bit about Hilary and Wal-Mart, which I did not know. And I also admit that I did not know that Wal-Mart was anti-union and I feel a bit guilty for shopping there. (Are they STILL not unionized?) See how uninformed I am?? What an ass.

Either way, so while I think I was leaning towards Hilary before yesterday, today I am just as unsure as I was before the California debate in which Hilary impressed me. Maybe I am impressed by fast talking and the idea of a woman in office, but perhaps she's not the right woman? I have a day to ponder this.

Keith, one of the conversants, said, "Just Vote Julie. Vote your conscious, but make sure you vote . It really does matter."

I know it does- I just want to be able to back up my decision.

Please, share your thoughtful opinions with me.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Julie,

Totally cool that you're going to vote in your primary. I'm leaning Obama, but my mother is a Hilary fan. My main reason for not choosing Hilary is that the Right really truly hates her. I see 4 years of divisiveness if she's in office. If Hil gets the nomination, I'll vote for her anyway (cause she's wayy better than the alternative). But, I think Obama has a chance to earn some cooperation from the Right.

In Hilary's defense, the thing my mother likes about her is that she's spelled out some of her plans in specific ways, while Obama's plans have not been detailed.

Ed