About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Chose your words, pick your battles....


So todays reading is about thinking before I speak. I think I have gotten better at this, at least with Michael. Funny that areas of my program work JUST in relation to Michael, or in every instance EXCEPT relating to Michael... but anyway.
When I am dilligent about it, I can keep my mouth shut. I can happily go about my business and not respond to every comment, be it negative, positive, hopeful for downright ridiculous. When I pay attention- I can detach and respond with "You may be right" or "I'm sorry you feel that way" or whatever appropriately vague comment that does not leave me open to attack that I can think of. Lately that kind of detachment and control has not been easy. I think I have been stressed out about other things... So it's time to start to refocus on my serenity.
My sponsor gave me these stones for Christmas. They are these pretty glass-type rocks that are different colors and say Courage, Hope, Faith, Serenity, and Peace. I taped them to my desk at work, so I can sort of put my hands on them. Perhaps it's stupid that this kind of thing does something for me. But you know, we all have our things... And since they are smooth, and there are 5 of them, they sort of massage my hand at the same time. I put Courage and Hope closest to me. I can move them around as needed. I love them. Maybe if I'm having a bad day, I can press one of them to my forehead...osmosis or something... whatever works at that moment.
I'm trying to bring myself back to my program. It's the only time that I can be happy, regardless of what is going on around me. Is when I have this. I don't go to church, Al-Anon is my spiritual program. It's what works for me. It's something I believe in for me. And being away from it, only makes me unhappy. So I need to make a better effort to work my program, because it helps me stay centered- and ultimately a more contented person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it real easy to keep my mouth shut. I just need to be asleep. Or dead.

Sideways Chica said...

Jules...great post. You know what I always say when I'm tempted? I say to myself (and on occasion to others): "Is that really the hill you want to die on?" I plan to write an article about this some day.

Ciao...