About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dick spiders

So a few weeks back my BFF confided in me that her daughter is having sex. Her teenage daughter, in the lower teens. Ahk and holy fuck.

She asked to be put on the pill and her mom decided to wait on that one- but now that she knows her daughter is actually doing it, well I suspect she won't wait any longer. It's scary. The pill used to be the only protection we needed.

When I was younger it was the only protection that I needed. I didn't use a condom until I was way into my 20's. Jesus- after my first marriage!! I irresponsibly admit that I don't like them. Which explains all three of my children.

However, now, the pill is not enough for safe sex. It's enough to prevent pregnancy, but it's not about pregnancy anymore. Great, you're not knocked up- but here's some chlamydia, with a side order of the CLAP and HPV to make it interesting.

Now, it's been told to me that just about EVERYONE who had sex in the 80's and 90's has been exposed to HPV. My doctor once told me that unless you are having sex with a virgin, or someone who has never had sex with without any body fluid contact (you get me), chances are you've been exposed to HPV and it's almost not worth mentioning. That's scary- but it's a fact of life. However, it's still important to wear a condom.

What worries me is that my son... oh god I can't even believe I will bring this up.... will probably have sex with someone who is most likely (but not positively) a virgin in the "sooner than I'd like to admit" future. If she's on the pill, then he may be convinced, like most young girls still ARE these days, that the biggest fear is pregnancy. Jesus.... I don't know the statistics, help me out if you know them. But I would suspect, that it's easier to get an STD than it is to get pregnant.

Condom condom condom. Talking to my BFF about her daughter who is barely older than my kid, it reminds me- that I need to talk to my kid about this. A LOT! I need to made sure he knows, with GREAT certainty that a condom is REQUIRED.



When he was little I used to tell him that if he didn't keep his hair clean, he would grow spiders in it. He didn't like spiders, and I tell you, I never had trouble washing his hair again. I wonder if the spider analogy will still work. Or I wonder if I tell him that if he doesn't use condoms, bugs will grow there and his dick will fall off.

Hey, maybe that won't EXACTLY happen, but you know- it's not TOTALLY far off.

Teen sex. Yeah, I know it happens. It happened when I was a teen, I was just an OLDER teen- of course that was like a million years ago. So I guess its like inflation. Sex younger, more risk. A higher cost of living.

Fuck.

1 comment:

D-Man said...

I've never understood America's faith in the withdrawal method.

(Heh. We're talking about a different sort of "troops" here).