About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm going to make a short story long...

I'm home now... eating the Indonesian fried rice that my mother made for me.

We had a catered lunch yesterday for our Monthly Departmental meeting. I mention this for two reasons. One is that they was a LOT of food left over that was going to go to waste. One was a big pan of white rice. One of the ladies was saying that I should take it home and make some fried rice with it. You know us Asians types- we love our rice, and even more when it's fried with onions and garlic and egg and meat. Well I don't know how to make fried rice.
But my mom does.....

So I brought the tray home to mom and asked her to make it into fried rice for me.

The other reason I mention the lunch is that with the lunch was a container of Sweet Chili Sauce. I have seen this in my moms fridge for years but I've never eaten it. Growing up there was this hot sauce (sambal) that was so hot it was used as a punishment, and while I'm sure it not even THAT hot to an adult, just the smell of it gives a negative connotation so any red chili sauce I just steer clear of. Anyway I tried some yesterday at lunch. Oh my god, it was so good. I could eat it on everything. Or at least anything asian-ish. Or eggs.

So tonight after picking up my huge tray of now FRIED rice, I ventured to the store to pick up some of this Sweet Chili Sauce. I went to the Asian Market cause I knew they would have it there. The new Zion Market close to my house that smells of fish before you even get in the door. So I went and was accosted by too loud Asian music. And the overwhelming smell of fish.

It didn't take long to find the sauce and I made my way to the counter to purchase it. It was a big bottle for $2.99.

Let me preface this part to say that I am generally not argumentative with the general public. I am not one of those who thinks that I am getting fucked over by corporate America (which I very well may be). I don't believe in conspiracy theories (which MAY be true). I d not have a general dislike for policeman, doctors or lawyers. So it's not as if I cry 'social injustice'... you know, ever.

back to my story...

I get to the counter and they will not let me purchase my sweet chili sauce because it's ONLY $2.99 and they don't accept ATM or Credit card under $5.

ok- what???

What in the holy hell is that shit all about?? I don't carry cash anymore- who the hell does?? You HAVE an ATM machine. I understand that there may be a charge for you for me to use my card. I pay that fee at the gas station, at the cafeteria at work and many other places. But no... fucking Zion market- you won't charge me the convenience fee. You just won't allow it. So I say that I will be right back and I exit the store.
I'm not coming back.

If you MAKE ME go to my car, you are crazy if you think I am returning.

So I go to the local Food 4 Less instead in the hopes that maybe they will have the chili sauce. I usually don't shop at Food 4 Less because I don't like bagging my own groceries. The prices are not SO much lower that it's worth it. It's not that I'm too good to bag my groceries, I just don't WANT to. The Food 4 less is right across the street from a strip mall where the signs are in an Asian writing. I don't know which. But I thought my chances were good that I would find the chili sauce. Which I did.

A smaller bottle, for only $1.99. And I also picked up some paper plates. No too loud music, and no fishy smell.

Total sale $6.29.

Yeah, fuck you Zion Market, you can't MAKE me spend $5.

1 comment:

listener42 said...

It is actually against the credit card agreement between the store and the company (Visa, MC) to require a minimum purchase. Report them to your credit card company.