About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Links and laughs

It's important to have perspective about H1N1.
and a sense of humor.

Scarier than H1N1- and I think #8 says it all, even for me.

In my neverending obsession with cock... I found some of these kinda interesting.

And while I don't encourage it for my minors, sexting kinda rules.

--

Alex asked me the other day if he could have a girlfriend. His approach was very much like, "Can I have a puppy- I swear mom I'm old enough to take care of it."

There's a girl and she's also 14. They like each other.

Well, that's all find and good, except I'm not going to be one of those moms who lets you go alone in your room. Maybe she can come over and hang out- maybe a movie. However, the one issue that I can't sidestep is mom. MY MOM!!!

See, my kids go to my mom's house after school until I get home. They practically LIVE at my mothers house, and just come home for dinner and on the weekends. It's a shared custody agreement, of sorts. The rules that apply at Oma's house, don't always apply to me- however, most of the time, its her house, her rules and I cannot risk 'standing up to her' because I can't always deny that her efforts, while sometimes a bit overkill- are not totally unreasonable.

He's 14. He's the product of two parents who celebrated the birth of thier first child before they celebrated thier one year anniversary (dating). So it's easy to say that his level of responsibility is genetically altered from the start. Neither his dad nor I have ever been any pillars of strength when it comes to getting laid (or NOT) so I wade into this water somewhat hesitantly trying to avoid two things:

1) disregarding his feelings. I do understand what it's like to have a crush and I try my best not to say stupid things like 'oh there's going to be a hundred girls- and you can wait' or 'you're too young to even know what you're feeling'.

2) becoming my mother. Lets face it. Like it or not, I was oversexed at a young age, for reasons I don't know. Even though I didn't lose my V card until senior year, I was not exactly pure in my actions. The problem is that my mother worked SO HARD to reign me in that I went the other way. She never talked to me about sex. She simply said 'don't do it' from the time I was 11. I want to be open with Alex about sex and women in hopes that he won't have misguided ideals.

I told Alex that I would talk to his dads and see what we come up with. I reminded him that when he's at Oma's, I can't override her rules, which makes life difficult, I know.

Moments later, he said that [this girl] is not allowed to date until 10th grade. Ok, situation averted, I thought.

The he asked, "But could I get girlfriend? If you know, maybe if I meet a girl who doesn't have to wait until 10th grade? I can date [this girl] later."

sigh....

He's soooo my kid.

2 comments:

13messages said...

That last part cracked me up. Awesome.

D-Man said...

When I was 12/13 I got dumped by my girlfriend because her parents decided she was too young to be dating. I was no longer interested by time she was. So, phew. :)