About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

It's only Kindergarten

Today was hectic. Today was Gabe's first day of Kindergarten. He was excited, he was dressed in his new digs and had his new Spiderman Backpack. Everything was perfect...



until we got to school...

Then, in perfect Gabe form- he decided he did not WANT to be in Kindergarten. He wanted to go home. He wanted to go back to Ms. Melanie's class. He wanted to be with Danny. He didn't want to sit, he didn't want to listen. He wanted to scream and cry- loudly.

He did calm down, and really it didn't last long. By 9:30 I was out the door and he was fine for the rest of the day. I picked him up at 1PM and he was all smiles!! In all, I guess it was not as bad as it seemed at the time- but I never really know what to do. At home, I walk away from the tantrum or try to option him elsewhere. But in school, there are not a lot of options. I mean, I could have walked away and risk letting him scream for the rest of the day. Or I could try to reason with him and grow increasingly angry. I am never sure what to do- and none of the teachers were helping me. I just wanted someone to say, "why don't you try this?" So while Gabe and I were off to the side managing his tantrum- I started to cry. I cried in Kindergarten today. I was just frustrated. And alone.

I can't help but take it personally somehow.

Tomorrow will be better. I know it.


2 comments:

Tammie Jean said...

Aw, the poor little guy. I remember Mandy crying her eyes out when I brought her to preschool. I was so frustrated that I cried too and showed up late to my classes with tears in my eyes. Hopefully Gabe is enjoying school more this week...

Cosima said...

I know how it feels. My son cried every morning for one long week, when he started kindergarten. Once I left the room he was ok though, and after one week it was all a distant memory.

You are not alone, and I don't think there is one best solution to deal with tantrums. Hang in there!