About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

careful and creative financing

Some days I really think my grown-up card needs to be revoked. I still cannot balance a checkbook to save my damn life. I don't even try anymore really. My checking account is managed in a excel spreadsheet that shows the few times a month money goes in, and ALL the times the money goes out. It doesn't help me balance anything, but tells me basically how broke I'm going to be later.

Through the beauty of my obsessive nature I can set it up for MONTHS in advance. It's depressing when spending money today tells me I'm going to have no money in 5 WEEKS. Fuck me. My paychecks don't waiver, and ever 4 months I get my financial aid money. Usually there are a few more checks that come in from dildo sales etc., and that's always nice. In general though- I can pretty much see what I've got so I can plan ahead. I use my financial aid money to make up for what lacks. What comes in goes right back out before food and travel. So I budget by taking my funding, mentally dividing it by 4 and planning to have enough until the next funding.

That being said, I'm weeks away from my next financial aid funding and a broke ass bitch. While I always have the best INTENTIONS in my so-called budgeting, what I REALLY do is spend a LOT in the first few weeks- getting caught up on any late utility bills. Paying back any money I may have borrowed and usually something relating to my car, like tires or a water pump. THEN I load the house with a lot of food. Get my nails done or a hair cut. A new pair of shoes, some new scrubs. One or two date nights. THEN I mentally divide what's left by 4 months and cross my fingers. In my defense, I was just a few weeks away when I ran out of money. Last time it was a month so I'm doing better.

So this week, feel free to buy me a sandwhich huh?

No comments: