About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ritalin- Day 4

I started Daniel on it twice a day today so I could see what it does- rather than have Michael tell me, considering that he forgot to give it to him on Friday.

(notes I jotted down)

Given at 7:45 after breakfast. He seemed to be having fun with Gabriel. Playing on the computer, he was a bit moody- talkative. Fussing with Gabriel about toys. Playing with his toys, watching TV. Talkative.

Given at 11:40 after lunch. Sat down with me to watch Tom and Jerry. Playing with Power Rangers at same time. Talking a LOT. Pacing the room with his toys, not paying too much attention to the TV. Wants to play Club Penguin. Set him up, a little fuss in the waiting.

-
So ok- nothing spectacular really. The magic though, is what happened after 5:30. Holy crap. It was like a light switch. You don't notice anything special when he's ON the meds, but when it wears off- that's when you notice. At 6PM, he was all "Danny" again. He was sort of all over. Getting really riled up, yelling a lot. Doing several things at once. The 'motor' was running. He even TALKED faster and you couldn't hear what he was saying.

The morning was like the rare times when Danny was having a good day at home. The evening is the way he usually is most days. Seeing the difference makes me wonder if he wouldn't benefit from something long lasting that works into the evenings, or maybe just a third pill. It's a small dosage, only 5 mg. It just seems to slow him down, not to a level that he is is sedated. Far from it. However, it's to a level where he can focus on one thing at a time, and be less frustrated with himself and everyone else.

Hmmm. Something to discuss with his doctor.

No comments: