About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Parenting frustration



The kids are going to be very sorry to cross me today. I've really had it with the way Gabriel yells out orders at me. The way that Daniel screams at the top of his lungs if you don't move fast enough to get him what he wants. I really am at my wits end with both of these kids today and I'm tempted to get in my car and drive away and not come back until they are 14.

For breakfast this morning I made the boys waffles and a banana. These kids eat alot of bananas AND waffles. They are big favorites. This morning I actually put some syrup (sugar free) on them and Gabe ate it up fast, and then yelled that he wanted more waffles- but no banana. And I'm really tired of making him exactly what he asks for at breakfast, and then getting yelled at because he has changed his mind. So he is currently sitting at the table, in front of his banana- screaming because he doesn't want his banana. I told him that he can sit there until he changes his mind. I turned off the TV. If I give that banana to Danny, he will freak out even more. Or, I can throw the banana away, or eat it myself and he will want it again. I told him that if he eats his banana, I will make him another waffle.

This is NOT about waffles or bananas really- it's about the fact that my boys have turned into these spoiled screaming monsters that I do not enjoy being around in the short time I have with them every week. This week they have both gone to bed hungry at least twice because at one time or another they have decided not to eat what I put in front of them. I'm not a short order cook and what they have to eat is not complicated. So he can sit there in front of that banana until lunch time. I'm so tired of this... He's having a stand off with me. He's fuckin three years old and I am so irritated I want to throw the banana away and put back in bed until tomorrow. Danny finished his waffle and banana quickly, and I will gladly make Gabe another waffle, but first he is going to finish that banana. He's eating it, painfully slowly, and glaring at me with every bite. But I swear, that kid is going to eat that banana if it takes him all day. This is a tactic my mother used.... alot of mothers use...so I will give it a try. I am not going to lose this battle. Not today.

1 comment:

Scott M. Frey said...

I have a stubborn 4 yr old. All,I can say is, I am with ya girl... It aint pretty, it aint fun, but battles happen... I can recommend a great book:

"How to Make Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours..." Of course, having the time to read as a parent can be tough, or impossible, but it's a great read with lots of great ideas, and I think it might help ya out. I am with ya, I feel your pain, you're not alone... hang in there, I will say a prayer for you and yer boys....