About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Friday, July 13, 2007

High Cost of Health Care

$2000 has been put out in co-payments for my husbands care already this year. I have paid a little more than half of that. It's only July. I'm not surprised or angry by this number, if I had the money to pay for it, I would. His parents have been very generous and help me foot much of the rest. Some is still owed.

What shocks me is that my insurance company has paid out $65,000 for his care. (and it's only July.)

What absolutely stuns me is how much his care actually COSTS. Hospital, physician and pharmacy. $194,013.17 Hooo-leeeee fuuuuuuuk!!!!

Insurance companies, for all the BS we have to take- negotiate a hell of a rate with medical groups, drug companies and hospitals. Of his almost 200 grand in medical expenses- so far, we have only been responsible for 1.03% of that. I feel bad for people who do not have, or cannot get insurance. I don't know much about qualifications for Medicaid- but I know that there is a large number of people who make too much for Medicaid, but can't afford insurance. Right now I am insuring myself, Michael and all my kids for less than $60 a month. If I was just insuring myself and the boys, it would still cost only $60 a month- so insuring Michael and his daughter cost me nothing, but apparently make a huge difference.

I've always been terrified to go without insurance, health and auto. I went for about 6 months without insurance, but paid out of pocket for private insurance for Alex when I was between jobs. My children have always had it. But I know that I am lucky to be able to afford that. I will try to bitch less about Michael's medical expenses because in the grand scheme, the cost is very low.

Sometimes grace comes in the stranges places.

1 comment:

Tammie Jean said...

Woooooooow, that's a LOT OF MONEY!!! It sounds like you have a great insurance plan, and for $60 a month it's quite a bargain, too. I wonder how much insurance has saved me this year?