About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

When toddlers attack.

You know, if you rough house with a 4 year old, things can go awry fairly quickly. They have a very low tolerance for pain, and losing. When you play fight and let them hit you, it becomes fun and they keep doing it. Eventually you will get hit someplace less resilient than your arm or your back and it will hurt. When you wrestle, they will eventually clothesline you and it will hurt. If you commonly play the game "I'm gonna eat you" and growl and play bite, eventually you will get bit, and it will hurt.

Now being 35- and mom, I don't do these things. I know better. Alex, at age 12- ought to know better. He ought to know because I tell him almost EVERY FUCKING DAY!!! But you know, what the hell do I know?

Let me preface with saying that he has had an attitude all day. Maybe he's mad because he could not spend the day at my moms and play with his friend. Maybe he's mad because the girl that likes him is waiting for HIM to ask HER out (more on that later). Maybe his underwear are too tight, I have not clue and he does not say anything when I ask. We went swimming today, and he complained of a mild headache before. When we got back, he continued to complain of the headache, but refused the tylenol. ummmm, ok.

He began to play with Gabe. All of the above offending games. I told them to ease up, quiet down, and even knock it off. All of which they sort of did, all except the last one. The "I'm gonna eat you" game is somewhat of a spin-off of "I'm gonna get ya!" which is followed by tickling- but leave it to Alex to involve something more.

So in the midst of the game, Gabe decided that HE was gonna eat Alex. And he bit him. Probably a a good pinch between the teeth, and a tear of the skin. No blood. I did not see it, but I heard him yell "GABE!" and I turned to see Alex holding his arm, I asked what happened and he pointed to his arm. um... words please. So he yelled out, "He BIT ME!" and then he started to cry. CRY!!!

My first instinct was to say, "I told you not to play that game with him." but I didn't. I asked Gabe why he did that. He said "I'm sorry Alex" and leaned in to him, in which Alex responded by raising his hand to Gabe, in the backhand preparedness move and Gabe got up and ran to the corner. I calmly sent Gabe to his room, which he went cause he knew he was busted. I told Alex he didn't need to cry like that. It was a bit dramatic. I told him that he needs to stop playing those games with Gabe. He's only 4. And don't you ever raise your hand to him like that again- ever. Then I got up and went into Gabe's room because I HAD to punish him for biting, even though I think in 4 year old thought process, he was provoked and encouraged. I've seen Alex put his mouth around Gabe's arm, but just never bit down. But biting is bad, and unsanitary and a reason that they kick you out of schools here. So I lectured and all that, and he got a few whacks on his butt. Not too hard, but you know, biting is not acceptable.

Ok, problems solved right??

Alex continued his attitude, when Gabe said he was 'very sorry for biting you' Alex told him to Go Away. Ok, not cool. Gabe's only four (and he was provoked). Gabe said he was sorry (and he was provoked). Gabe got in trouble (and he was provoked). I told him that maybe HE needs to go his room if he's going to be this way. Jeezus.

I thought I had SON'S!!!

1 comment:

d-man said...

My wife punishes me when I bite.

It's not so bad.