About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Word Funerals and this jack-ass.

I should move to Detroit. Apparently there are no problems there. Apparently all the crime, economy and educational issues are solved, because they clearly have nothing better to do.

DETROIT - The NAACP held a mock funeral yesterday for one of the most inflammatory terms in the English language: "the N-word."
With the fervor of a civil rights-era demonstration and the passion of a rousing church service, NAACP members and their supporters pledged good riddance not only to the derogatory word, but also to other disparaging expressions they say have been tolerated for too long among some African Americans
.

I heard about this on the radio this morning and was a bit confused. Since the Don Imus incident, there has been a lot of attention in this direction regarding the use of the N-word along with other derogatory terms. (Imus, by the way who did NOT use the N-word.) I understand the emotions behind it, and the what it stands for but do we really think that this is going to make a difference. I laughed out loud when the guest they had on the radio pointed out that the NAACP ought to spend more time thinking of a new name for their organization, because the term 'colored' is just as offensive.

I am not in anyway condoning the use of the N-word. I don't use it. I don't use it, not casually, in angry, or when I sing my favorite J-Lo song:

Now people luvin me n hatin me n treatin me Ungratefully But not knowing that they aint makin or breakin me My life I live it to the limit and I love it Now I can breathe again Baby now I can breathe again Now people screamin whats the deal with u and so so I tell them (INSERT BURIED WORD HERE) mind their biz but they dont hear me though Cuz I live my life to the limit and I love it Now I can breathe again Baby now I can breathe again

Not even then!!! I understand that it's offensive, I get that it is hateful and inappropriate. It's also somewhat situational and it's not ALWAYS offensive. I wasn't offended when J-Lo said it.
She's still my girl. She didn't offend me.

---
And then there's THIS FUCKER.

I only wish the would have taken away all of his rights and kicked his ass out of the country. I'm sorry. This is not about my bizarre obsession for the law and how going to court makes me anxious and horny either. I really hate it when people go to great lengths to get out of jury duty. In my simple way, I see jury duty as a small price to pay for the privilege of living here. Imagine for a minute if the same 12 people were the jury on every case?

I look at it this way, if I ever get caught for the crimes I commit... I only hope that my jury is not filled with retired knitting bitties, drug addicts on disability, and policemen. I hope my jury is sprinkled with working men and women, around my age, economic level and family status.

I mean, sometimes a man just NEEDS killing. So much of my decisions are fueled by the thought, "No jury would convict me." So work with me people. I might need you later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be on your jury. I understand that sometimes a man does need killing.

d-man said...

But it's OK if I use the N-word because I am, afterall, a Ninja.