About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Crazy never sleeps

There was an altercation at my work the other day. I work at a hospital and occasionally people get angry and things start to happen. The nurse manger got punched in the face once. Nurses get grabbed and swung at. Once a crazy patient threatened to stab a little girl with a pencil (that he got from the chapel!)

I did not hear about this entire event, and really I didn't need to. Apparently though, it was between family members. No not brothers and sisters...

But the family members of one patients and the family members of the patient in the next bed.

Oh yeah, you heard me.

They were in the inside of the patients' room when it stared, but apparently SOMEONE said, "They ought to get this fucking illegal alien out of this room!"

Yeah, you can see how nicely THAT went over.

Both families- each containing a few people EACH were ushered into the hall way once the yelling started and then it got very loud, and ugly racists words were exchanged and security was called- STAT. I am not sure exactly who hit whom first, but I heard there was some swinging involved. Security did not get there fast enough, and you know- what's FAST ENOUGH when you are throwing out ugly things like that.

This is a community hospital people- where we, as health care professionals have a responsibility to care for people who come through the doors. I don't fucking care about your political beliefs OR your complete LACK of class and human decency. Shut the fuck up. Really- all parties ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Health care is a human right. Take your bullshit someplace else.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Julie! It's Karen... yes, your *favorite* intern! Haha! I just wanted to stop by and say hi... =)

I can't believe that I missed all that action! But you're right, people need to be more civilized in a place like a hospital. Can't we all just get along?

Old Bogus said...

My Dad was in the hospital a few years ago. The serious change in routine got him disoriented (He's 94). And his native racism started coming out, referring to his black nurse as "that n****r" and some other such remarks; I kept telling him to shut up but it didn't last long. His roommate was Hispanic; I apologized to him.

People are jerks.