About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My, what beautiful arteries you have!!

Today was the Stroke Awareness day in the hospital. By all accounts, I must say that it was a HUGE success. Our target attendance was 300. We decided we would be happy if there were 200.

We had 520.

FIVE HUNDRED AND TWENTY PEOPLE came down to our humble little Stroke Awareness event and we (our team of wonderful nurses who volunteered thier entire day to do this) educated 520 people about the signs and symptoms and risk factors for stroke. We had blood pressure and blood sugar checks as well as Carotid Ultrasounds (all free). So all day I walked around and talked to people and asked them, "Did you get your screenings? How are your arteries?" And the tech who does the screenings for us, this gorgeous boy, is so sweet and kind of flirty. He was telling these 50 year old veteran nurses that they have the arteries of a 21 year old, and they come out of the screening area blushing and going on about their beautiful arteries. Personally I think the opportunity to get behind the privacy screen with him was the main reason most of us bothered.

We did identify at least 5 people with diabetes (meaning that thier blood sugar was above 200) so they will hopefully be following up with their physicians too- and you know, if we helped to avoid a stroke or even some other diabetes related complication in these three people, then the day was totally worth it. There is something so rewarding about this type of community education. For all the hard work, and the fact that my feet are so sore I can hardly walk, today was, without a doubt, my best day at work at any job I've ever had. This kind of thing is why I took this job and why I want to work in health care- even if I'm not a nurse. We reached people and educated them, 500+ of them, and I was so proud of how well it turned out. I coordinated the majority of the entire event and there were NO snags. It could not have worked out better and I am so so SO proud of myself for what we did today.

At least five peoples lives were changed today. At even though diabetes is not exactly good news, catching it, before it catches you- certainly is. I hear or see these big events when people say, "if I help just ONE person, it's worth it" and I think, those are not very good statistics. But I think those five people are grateful and it was worth it to help them.

I'm exhausted now, and I could sleep for a week, but I have to finish this paper. My finance final is just going to be a casualty. Studying would just be a waste of precious sleep time.....

3 comments:

d-man said...

That is wicked.

golfwidow said...

Yay!

Jaws said...

Congrats on changing the world!