About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

choice: the act of selecting

This morning Gabe wanted to bring a toy to daycare and I said he could bring it in the CAR- but not take it to school. Leave it at home, or leave it in the car- these are your choices.

I am not sure if giving choices is a good way to avoid the screaming fits while still not allowing whatever it is they are trying to do, or just giving the kids too much lee way. I remember just being told "No!" and that kind of being the end of it- but of course if I remember it- then I was old enough to know that I was going to get knocked on my ass.

Eat your dinner or go to bed. These are your choices.
Get out of bed or you will have to walk to Oma's house. These are your choices.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who's kids are always screaming. I know that it's a phase that Danny is going through, where he immediately refuses anything that I suggest. Alex went through it and so did Gabe. Gabe is just trying to force his independence, and also make sure that Danny doesn't get too much attention. The end result of all this is that they scream a lot. Leaving me frustrated and ready to shake them. It's hard when I don't want to spend time with them. When I dread going home, or I make little bets with myself as to which one is going to go to bed early, with an over and under as to how many minutes he will make it through dinner.

I am feeling very defeated this morning. I'm almost ready to let the e-husband move back home just so he can take half of the abuse. I'm so tired of every day being such a fight. Toddlers are jerks.

When all else fails... YouTube!!! (well first, get a cinnamon melt from McDonalds and then YouTube.

No comments: