About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Mr Brightside

My brother is leaving for Iraq at 0200 hours on Sunday. So in three hours he reports to base and is leaving for a year. We went out to dinner tonight, my dad, my sister and my brothers. He was dressed in his fatigues I guess. Light colored camoflaged cargo type pants. People noticed him, how could you not?- he's tall and thin and handsome and well, he's a soldier and people tend to notice soldiers these days. But seeing him in his Marine Corps gear' which I have seen him in lots of times, just reminded me that he was leaving.
He's not thrilled about going, but he knows that it's his job. I think we were all trying to keep a good face and smile but I admit that I'm sad he's leaving. I'm scared for his safety- but this is the third time he's been to the middle east. Once during desert storm and this is the second time for this war- what is it called Iraqi Freedom? Enduring Freedom? Where do they come up with these names- and who thinks them up?? Well, anyway- he is leaving and while I am sad about it, I am certain that I will see him again in a year. He should be online again hopefully at the end of the week. Weird how with computers you can be off at WAR and still IMing with your family members and telling them about your every day happenings as if they were just a few freeways away.
I love telling people stories about Rick, and retelling the stories that he tells us about when he's over seas. I am so proud of what he does for a living and for his bravery. I look forward to reading his blog, as ge started one last time but never really got it going- but I think he's going to try it again as it will be easier than emailing everyone. I know that my mom is really sad and scared about him leaving too. She said to me today, "what's a mother to do?" and I said "pray" I mean what else is there? But I know I will always pray for his safety and a safe return home to his daughters and to his family. I was not able to go with my parents to drive him to base. I would have, but I know that I also would have gotten very emotional about it and I don't want to make it hard on him. He's my big brother and I don't want him to have to comfort me when who knows what kinds of feelings he is having. I hugged him goodbye at my mom's house before I left and I told him to take care of himself and that I love him. I didn't want to get emotional in front of the rest of the family. Nobody wants to talk about how nervous they are for him to be leaving again- even if we are all thinking it.
Anyway, I'm sure Rick will be reading this eventually, so good luck big brother. Be careful, be safe and know that we are all thinking of you every day. I love you and I'm proud to call you my brother.

No comments: