About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Do it your damn self!!!

This morning I proved to myself that I rock. I fucking rock!! I built my pantry. Did I mention that I got a pantry? Well, I did. My refrigerator is too big for the space the apartments gives so the fridge is someplace else and I have this 'space' where the fridge is supposed to go. I had these horrible cubes there and I hated them and they were flimsy. So my parent picked up this pantry for me. E-husband was supposed to build it for me last weekend, but...well, anyway....

So I was bitching about the fact that I have no man to build this pantry for me. Woe woe woe is me... I thought MAYBE I could put it together, the box says, "assemble in minutes"- so I open the box and the first thing I pull our are TWO bags of screws and stuff. Ummmm. yeah, back in the box- maybe not.

Well today, before coffee I decided to give this thing about look. I took everything out of the box and surveyed the contents. Perhaps it wasn't too daunting, but maybe I should have my coffee first. Well, let me just put the pieces together. Well, let me just get started...



12 screws later, I have the two side and three shelves. Not a bad start. The holes were predrilled , so I knew were the screws went. Gabe and Danny were fascinated with my project (and my tools!) and wanted to help. So the back panel needed to be hammered in, so I started the nails, and let the boys hammer them down. Danny had a harder time hammering them in, but he seemed to know HOW to use the claw to pull the nails OUT! Hmmm, go figure.







The doors were the hardest part. Those holes were not exactly drilled, but a little hole was dug so you knew were to go. So there I am, with the little screws and my new screwdriver- turning and pushing into the side- pushing and turning, waiting for the wood (ply) to give way. I'm putting all the weight my arm will give me at that angle, and cursing, "come on, you bitch." It was a rush when I would see the plywood dust start to gather and fall below as the screw went through it.

"That's right- give it up for mama!"



I was actually AROUSED by my ability to get this done! I think it's like when guys get wood over a table saw.



I put the whole thing together. The handles, the hinges for the doors, all of it. It was fucking awesome.

I mean- how much do I rule?!?!?!?

1 comment:

LadyXandria said...

You go mama! There's nothing sexier than a chick weilding a hammer and knowing how to use it. Grrl power!