About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Got wheat??

I think the e-husband has celiac disease. Of course I'm not a doctor, but he displays almost all the symptoms. If he can eliminate wheat and all that from is diet, there is a chance that he could actually feel a little better. He could get tested at the doctor, or he could try to go gluten free for a few weeks and see what happens. Then go to the doctor and get tested, perhaps a biopsy of his small intestines.

Symptoms of celiac disease may include one or more of the following:

  • recurring abdominal bloating and pain
  • chronic diarrhea
  • weight loss
  • pale, foul-smelling stool
  • unexplained anemia (low count of red blood cells)
  • gas
  • bone pain
  • behavior changes
  • muscle cramps
  • fatigue
  • delayed growth
  • failure to thrive in infants
  • pain in the joints
  • seizures
  • tingling numbness in the legs (from nerve damage)
  • pale sores inside the mouth, called aphthus ulcers
  • painful skin rash, called dermatitis herpetiformis
  • tooth discoloration or loss of enamel
  • reproductive issues (miscarriages, infertility)
  • missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss)
from the NFCA

I am encouraged and really hoping that he is willing to at least try it. He is not convinced that it will help him feel better and I hope he at least tries it got a few weeks. He has a lot of these symptoms, most of them really- but they have all been attributed to the diabetes even though they are not classic diabetes symptoms, but nerve damage covers a multitude of sins. I am thinking that I would like to go gluten free too- it would be the fastest way to cut the crap out of my diet. I am told that for people who are not intolerant, we need the glutens, so maybe I will cut back considerably. Maybe I can drop some pounds. I have read that it may also help Alex with the ADHD.

I just have to find Gluten Free chicken nuggets.

Perhaps cutting back will be a better choice for the kids.

This weekend is potty training. I started with Danny a while back, but he was screaming so much I knew it was not worth it. He does it at school sometimes, so he knows, he just won't do it. So this weekend I'm going to buckle down and get it going!! Jaws has been working on her Beasties and her oldest used the potty three times yesterday!!!! I have four days off again, so I can focus on it.

Boys do it, Girls do it.
Big kids all around the world do it.
You'll do it,
you'll use the potty!!


No comments: