About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

All the lonely people.

This morning The Athiest text messaged me and asked if I had read Shampoo Planet. I had not, but I have heard of it. Perhaps I've seen someone else reading it. I tend to be interested in what other people are reading. I haven't read it, but it made me feel like I wanted to go to the book store and start a new book.

Since I have been trying to spend at least an hour doing something for myself ever week I thought I would go buy a book and have lunch by myself. I love book stores. Even if I have no intention of buying anything, I just love looking at the titles, flipping through the pages and wondering what the story might be about if I had the time to read everything I wanted to read.

I spent a lot of time looking at the travel section. Contemplating buying a book about New York. Most of them included maps and the best restaurants and such. There was one book that my friend is reading on The Chelsea Hotel. I have promised him that I will at least stand in front of it and take a picture. As I headed towards the door empty handed, I walked past the bargain table and came across this book.



It's by the same author of Shampoo Planet, I recognized. I opened it and read the front flap and promptly bought it. Since the Athiest and I had spoken about this author this morning, I took it as a sign. I look for signs- sometimes I look too hard for them, but you know- a sign is a sign.

So far, it's about loneliness and motherhood, I think. Ironic, don't you think?

I love taking suggesting from people on books to read. It makes me feel closer to the person who suggested it to me, because perhaps they think I will like it, or because it's something I have in common with them if we both enjoy it. I love reading, but if I am not pulled in by the first chapter, I won't finish it. I sat down at lunch today by myself and read for 30 straight minutes, uninterrupted. I did not have to listen for the sounds of children. Nobody asked me to make or bring them coffee. Nobody needed to poop.

(But by the way, Danny is pooping in the potty!!! FINALLY, after 4 months of working on it!)

It was a fantastic hour left me refreshed for the rest of the day. I don't go out for lunch alone very often. Sometimes I feel like people are looking at me. Oh that poor chubby girl all by herself reading a book in a restaurant. Today I didn't care if I looked like one of the lonely people.

I wasn't alone, I was hiding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the trick of not looking lonely when reading a book is to enjoy it.

so no one would have seen anything but a woman reading a book enjoying herself and being able to not be too conscious about what other people saw...

*wink

the atheist.

Anonymous said...

I love to read. Sitting alone in a restaurant reading a book virtually uninterrupted sounds heavenly.


~Her