About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

They don't call me a bitch for nothing!!

There are moments in peoples lives that deserve recognition. There are times when people truly need to be acknowledged for their accomplishments or have people share in their joy. When you are a friend, you need to know what these moments are- and show up for them. Suit up and show up- no excuses.

My friend Jennifer is getting married. She and I worked together for many years and have remains friends since I have moved on. More email and text message friends, but still friends. I have been planning to go to this wedding. No reason not to go to this wedding. I'm so thrilled for her wedding. Her fiance is a great guy- she's a great girl. I have every reason to believe this will be a marriage that sticks. Her wedding is coming up- the weekend before my graduation. For this reason, I did not invite her to my graduation, cause she'll be out of town. Makes sense.

This morning, I called my friend, Christine, my date, to confirm that she was going to come with me to the wedding.

Christine called me back and informed me that the wedding... was yesterday. Um.... no it wasn't, it's next weekend.

Christine reminded me that she and Jennifer work together- and she is certain that the wedding, was yesterday.

Oh shit.
Holy shit.

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

I looked at my calendar. Jen's wedding May 24th. I looked at the invitation.

May 17th!!

WHAT THE HELL! How did I get this wrong? I spoke to her a few weeks ago. She sent me a SECOND invite with directions cause I told her I could not find the first one. I have her picture on my fridge. I have a babysitter scheduled for the 24th!! Is it possible that I have fucked this is up so completely and proved to be the biggest ASSHOLE friend I can possibly be?

Not only is it possible, it's true.

FUCK CRAP SHIT DAMN IT!!!!

Christine tried to tell me that I've got alot going on, with graduation and finals and all that. However, I don't buy that. I fucked up. I didn't play close enough attention. There's no good excuse. Only one really shitty one. I got the date wrong. It's not even an excuse, it's a lousy explanation.

Suit up and show up. Follow through and be the kind of person who does what she says she's gonna do. Really, it's not that hard. There's no excuse. I'm so sorry Jen. I understand if you are angry with me. I deserve it.

But I really really am sorry.

4 comments:

Patti said...

Honestly, I agree with Christine . . you have got a shitload goin on. I know, your bummed you didn't get to it. Uh, one question, how come Christine didn't call and say . . . hey what time are you picking me up/am I picking you up for the wedding . . . I dunno, just a thought. Anyway, cut yourself some slack. And while I'm at it . . . I'm really proud of you. Graduating from college when you are 22ish, no responsibilities, no cares in the world, and getting your ass through it is a big deal. what you have done is mind blowingly impressive. Good Job!!! times ten thousand. so again, for what it's worth . . . I'm proud of you.

Trixie said...

I have to agree, where was your "date" saying um hey, what time we going? I mean if she works with her, wouldn't she have called you????? Bad friend!!!!

OH AND BY THE WAY MY WEDDING IS ON THE 15TH OF AUGUST, YOUR ASS WILL BE THERE EVEN IF I HAVE TO HANDCUFF YOU THE NIGHT BEFORE AT THE HOTEL! :)

LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT WEDNESDAY! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU!

julie said...

I'm Christine's defense, she had told me that she didn't think she was going to be able to go. I was calling her back to see if she had changed her mind. She thought I was going alone.

Not her fault. I left Jennifer what I hope was a heart felt apoligy this AM.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Let's not beat up Christine. Christine had already canceled. And Christine has a couple of things on her plate, too.

Love you Julie. See you at graduation!