About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Cat on the table

Last night, a kitty came to our back door.  She (I am assuming) was lost.  A long haired tabby that was so beautiful.  Mike and I pet her for a long time on the patio.  She came to our back door so I figured she wandered out and didn't know where she was in the back of the complex.  We moved her to our front patio and she eventually wandered off.  I really did want to let her in the house and keep her forever cause she was so pretty and sweet- but clearly she belonged to someone.  

I want a cat. 

A few weeks ago I told the Mike I wanted to put a cat on the discussion table.  It became kind of a snarky conversation, but in the end, the cat is on the table.  Maybe after the new year.  I know that if we get a kitty, we need two.  I've had cats before.  And kittens need to come in pairs otherwise they make you insane.  An older cat can be alone.  I also want a declawed kitty.  No, I don't want one that I need to declaw, cause I do think it's cruel.  However, if I rescue one, I think I'd PREFER one that is already declawed.  With the kids, and the furniture- it's just better that way.  

I like long medium haired cats, and I like tabbies. Well, I LOVE long haired cats, but I just can't deal with all the cat hair everywhere.  It's bad enough with short or medium.  

Admittedly, I'm resistant to have another pet.  When we had to get rid of our last two, it broke my heart.  I had Mike take them to a shelter and hoped they would get adopted.  Alex still doesn't know the truth, we told him they ran away together.  Financially, it's tough to have a pet when they get sick and you have to balance a small checking account between feeding the kids and taking the cat to the vet.  I vowed I would never have another pet.  

However lately I've been thinking about it- looking at pet adoption websites and demanding that it become a family discussion.  Last night, that pretty girl on my patio... sigh, I want one.


2 comments:

Deanna said...

Hey you can have Dex! LOL, he's declawed, fixed and loves to be petted! :)

JK,

We love him he's part of the family now and Rick's BFF but he was OMG a terror for the first 3 years!

Old Bogus said...

I told my wife about the cat. She was adamant: toss the BF and keep the animal! Always!

Wow! I guess I was lucky!