About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's the simple things

A few lifetimes ago I had a live in boyfriend. We dated for several years. Good guy. Every day when I would leave the house, he would say to me:

Have a good day.
(You too.)
Be safe.
(I will.)
No stupid stuff.
(I know.)

This was an every day occurrence. We lived up in the hills and we drove thru this windy road through the hills to get to where we lived and people would always put signs up saying "Happy Anniversary" or "Congratulations!" So one year for my birthday he hung signs for me on the path down the hill. 5 of them. Hello. Have a good day. Drive Safe. No stupid stuff. and Happy Birthday.

I also remember that I was so angry at him because he was home late the night before and he told me he was having dinner with 'a friend'- who I don't remember, but I know I didn't like her. But in the morning I saw the signs and I was giddy from his efforts. I'm sure I thanked him well.

I am thinking of this because I emailed him today. He is riding his motorcycle on a 250 mile ride today so I wanted to wish him well. In the mid email I caught myself writing....

"Have fun today. Be safe." That is when I remembered the sign, and I laughed and added, "No stupid stuff."

just because it made me smile. I am sure he'll get the reference.


5 comments:

d-man said...

So cool.

Jaws said...

Awww, thats a sweet story!
><(((*>

WORD VERFICATION:
SFUQYVN:

So fuck u quiet young virgin nerd!

Sunni said...

That's cute! I like that lovey-sappy stuff sometimes... Hell ALL the time. LOL

You already knew that. On a different note, remember our "Homeward Bound" and "An American Tail" cartoon movie sappy-ness?? GOD, I just need a good cry now and then!
;)

LadyXandria said...

Aww... how touching. Those are the kinds of things that I just adore. Flowers, candy and jewelry are nice, but its the sentimental stuff that you'll remember years later.

Tammie Jean said...

Aw, that's so sweet. My husband is like that. Every morning as I leave for my hour + commute to work, he says "Be careful." And it's touching because I know he really means it.

(and LOL at Jaws!)