About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, April 02, 2007

What's so natural about a disaster??

It's 2AM and I can't sleep. This is what happens when you sleep away most of the weekend, come Sunday night when you actually NEED sleep, you are up at 2AM, tossing around counting how many hours of sleep you will get if you could drift off 'now'.

I'm thinking about my friend Andy who had the roof ripped off of his apartment complex, and he made the comment about trying not to be freaked out by the fact that your whole life is torn apart in all of five seconds. I see evidence of that every week. People who live otherwise healthy lives are struck down by some strange clusterfuck in their body. There are those who have all the risk factors, but occasionally there are some who just are unlucky and it just happens. Sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around disasters and causes that are deemed natural. You would think if it was so natural, people would not be so fuckin shocked by it??

now, I'm tired....

My thoughts are with you and your family Andy, hope you find your kitty.

2 comments:

d-man said...

For real?

Andy Land said...

All too real, D-Man.

Thanks for the thoughts, Julie. It's all good. We're safe and sound. We just have a lot of unanswered questions and no place to live.

The cat is fine. Come on...of all people you know I can always find the kitty. ;)

All told we have it much better than most of the folks in our destroyed building. I missed being crushed by my ceiling by about 1 second. April wasn't even home when it happened. So far, our belongings are not damaged (but with the rain that can all change). We're not injured, we have friends and family we can stay with and we have resources.

Thanks for the thoughts though.