About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Monday, April 16, 2007

The benefits of a pill poppin husband

* I use the term 'pill poppin' loosely and for comedic value.

So of all my bad traits, I would have to say that I hate my teeth the most. I should have gotten braces when I was younger. I should have flossed when I was a kid. I should have gotten annual check ups. Preventative maintenance is the key to everything. I have said before that not taking better care of my teeth is my biggest regret in life. The list is long and impressive, but I think that is the main thing. I will be in partials by age 45 if not sooner.

So while I have HMO dental insurance, my budget does not always allow for root canal, bridge and crown. You can imagine. I know I'm not the only one who has this problem. So I find myself having tooth pain more often than menstrual cramps. Very cold or very hot foods can be torture, as well as tough meat... and well, you can imagine. It's very limiting. The last few days it's been worse for some reason. I'm not sure why.

So today while I was cleaning the pit of hell. My bedroom. I came across the one good thing about having a husband who suffers from debilitating health problems that cause him a lot of pain and discomfort. Vicodin, baby. When he was living here, I had access to pain meds when I needed them, but I hardly ever asked to dip into his much needed supply. I have a pretty low tolerance for medications, so Tylenol or ibuprofen, (sometimes both if it's really bad) will usually make better whatever it is that hurts. Occasionally though, tooth pain or a migraine headache would send me asking him for some of the magic beans.

One night I remember like a train wreck, I was woken from a dead sleep by someone drilling a hole into my teeth. I woke him, and DEMANDED that he get me something. RIGHT. NOW. He returned with a pill and some warm water. Instructed me to take it and drink the whole glass of water. Percocet- 500 milligrams bitch! I was all better and back to sleep in about 10 minutes. ahhhhh, now that's love.

Anyway, I came across this stray pill, tucked nicely into a pocket in one of his pants that was left behind. To think I almost threw them in the laundry without checking his pockets for change!! After researching the manufacturer’s number that is etched on the pill, I identified this as 750 mg of my favorite prescription drug.

I know from experience that a whole pill would make me sick, but half- has made me feel, AAAAA-oooooookayyyyyyyyy.

AND, I have the other half for another day. Like found money, baby.

2 comments:

LadyXandria said...

I have a low tolerance for medication too. I've found that Aleve works wonders for me. Tooth pain is a bitch. One of my wisdom teeth is wrecking havoc in my mouth these days. Wish I had some of your stash LOL.

Tammie Jean said...

When I got my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, the nice doc gave me percs. I didn't realize how strong they were until I took one at work. I could barely hold my head up or focus my eyes, and it was a day when I was interviewing for my own job (company take-over). I don't remember a damn thing about that interview, but I guess I did okay...

(geez - my verification word is evrdrug... this system is rigged...)