About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Books Sarah Palin tried to ban from the Alaska library system.

Post stolen (every word) from RKB who may have taken it from someone else...

The last item is especially troubling. Why would someone try to ban a dictionary?


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Forever by Judy Blume
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women’s Health Collective
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman
Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff

I wonder what’s on her “it’s okay to read” list. To me, the idea of banning books or keeping books from kids, like they are so blindly stupid that they will just agree with any old idea they read, is beyond offensive. And, indeed, I’m very curious what’s so scandalous in that particular dictionary. Clearly, that whole preventing her kids from reading about sex worked out very well for her.


by me:  And really... Forever by Judy Blume taught me a lot.  

I didn't know what "coming "was, but I knew I wanted to go there...

1 comment:

Honey said...

Death of a Salesman? Really? WTF is Palin thinking and the dictionary?