About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

I married my father.

I think I did. Really.

I remember more bad things about my step-dad than good. That's cause he really WAS a major dick for a lot longer than he was ever a decent guy. That happened the last few years before he died. The other 11 years he was married to my mom, he really was a prick. He was the only dad I really remember. Unfortunately I have very few memories of my read dad, who died when I was 9.

My step dad locked himself in his room a lot. We assumed he was just in there ignoring us. Maybe he was sleeping, I don't know. There was a lock on the door. He went through phases where he would come out and be semi social, sometimes kind of funny. Sometimes a decent guy- even though there was always this undertone of "Don't piss me off."

Eggshells everywhere.

The husband is very much the same. He goes through these phases where he's a pretty cool guy. He is good with the kids, he keeps the house clean and cooks and does all sorts of normal guy stuff- just so long as you don't piss him off. Then as mysteriously as he came, he's gone again. He's been in bed since Wednesday. And no- not REALLY in bed 24 hours a day, but like 18 hours. He comes out to eat and leave a mess, he grumbles at the kids. And sometimes just to be a bitch I make him come out and watch the kids so I can go do something I don't really NEED to do.

Last night we went to my mom's for a family party that he didn't attend. I came home and brought him some food. And some of My sister in law's AMAZING banana pudding.

OMG this is like bananas and crack
mixed in cream cheese
and covered in cookies.

Crack pudding with bananas.

Which would probably explain why he ate it all. Between 10PM last night, and 6AM this morning.

He ate all the Banana Crack Pudding!

Why am I even surprised??

Now I don't know that my step dad would have done THAT- but it's a characteristic trait. It's that "OMG you are such a selfish prick and THIS is why we don't like you" sort of thing that my dad had, that my husband has.

My mom and step dad were married for 13 years when he died. I really hope I don't have to wait 4 more years...

2 comments:

Old Bogus said...

Your description of your stepdad exactly matches my mother's behavior. I was actually relieved when she died.

We're still a dysfunctional family.

Vixen said...

*shaking head*

I don't do selfish. Or actually, I did and had to get out of *that*. Not as fast as I would have liked....but I did.

(((You))))

Um, but I do do Banana crack. That sounds divine....omg.