About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Let it begin with me

and proof that Al-Anon did more than save me from an alcoholic marriage.


I don't usually do things like this. While I have been known to flash my panties now and again, I don't usually air the laundry, but I'm going to- sort of, edited down and paraphrased.
To Me: Why are you mad at me? Please talk to me. It's been weeks. I thought we were close?

To Her: I am hurt that you did not attend my graduation. I understand that you couldn't, but it hurt my feelings and I feel that you should have called me and not sent me an email about it.


To Me: Oh YEAH? Well
you are a shitty person. You are never there for me. Life is not all about you. You are selfish and self centered. What do you want from me?

There was more to it that this, but it was uglier and meaner than I could ever have imagined. It's not worth it to go into more detail. There it is. I had hurt feelings before. In time I would have gotten over it, but she asked. She wanted to know- even know I know she knew. Apparently what she wanted was enough ammo to unload everything that is bothering her about me.
It sucks when you just don't like the ones that you love. And my answer? Nothing. I didn't want anything from you- you emailed ME remember?

I don't like confrontations. I really don't. I prefer to just let it go. If it is a person with whom I am going to always have to deal with, it's easier to just let it go- and maybe tread a little wiser in the future. It does not make me feel better to say, "Hey that was fucked up!" or "How dare you!" It doesn't make me feel better to put someone in their place. I prefer to just accept that we all have reasons for the decisions we make and the choices we make. I don't have to LIKE what you do- but I just can't take away your right to do it, or take away your rights to feel whatever it is you want to feel, whether or not I agree. I would never claim anyone doesn't have the right to feel a certain way.

In return, nobody has the right to tell me not to feel a certain way. I don't push my negative feelings at people. I am NEVER one to say, "HEY! I am really MAD at you for doing that. How dare you do something I don't like or disapprove of!" Anyone who knows me- knows that I do not confront (and I am only passive aggressive if I am now, or have ever been married to you.)

I learned it in Al-Anon. Live and Let Live, but you know- that goes both ways. Feelings are not facts- but they are real enough. I do not begrudge you yours- and I refuse to let you begrudge me mine. Refuse.

LIVE AND LET LIVE

This is a reminder that most of us need--often. Our only concern should be our own conduct, our own improvement, our own lives. We are entitled to our own view of things, and we have no right to inflict it on anyone else.


Amen sister. Af'enmen.

3 comments:

fairyflutters said...

Well you handled it better than I would have. Is this your mother? I'm just guessing because it sounds a bit similar to convos I used to have with mine.

In any case, I'm sorry she didn't come to your graduation. That is shitty. Heck, I don't even *know* you but I think it's pretty awesome that you graduated!

Vixen said...

Gah.

I really, really love that "Live and Let Live". I think that is important. And really, you can only be responsible for yourself. But it's hard not to be disappointed and hurt by others actions sometimes. *hugs*

Congrats again baby!

patti said...

wow, i am really sorry. I had someone throw the "it's not all about you" line at me recently. You are right, they were just looking for ammo to dump on you - but more likely than not, they are just miserable in their own lives, wanted to bring you down and projecting all their shit onto you (or at least that's how it was with the person I encountered).

you know how proud I am of you for graduating. Sorry e-husband is going through so much.

I'm thinking of you.

xoxo