About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Not THE talk, but A talk.

I had a talk with Alex last night. It seems that he likes a girl, who likes him. He wants to spend some time with her. Go to the movies, hang out.

My gut reaction was to just say "Are you insane? You're 13." But then I was remembered of Alvin. Yes, that was his name. Later he went to "Al" of course, but when I was in 7th grade I had a big major crush on him. He was so cute and he wanted to go out with me. My mothers response to this buy, like all the others before him was, "Are you insane?" and "No" So I did what any hot blooded pre teen would do. I sneaked around. I lied. I got caught. I changed schools and my life went in a completely different direction because I was forced to make new friends and go to a completely different school.

So I decided to think like a parent who was also once 13. A parent who knows that he is ultimately gonna DO whatever stupid nonsense no matter how hard I try to stop it. I told him that I would think about it. Maybe if he went to the movies with a group. Maybe I could drop them off and pick them up. Maybe she could come to the house and they could watch movies under my watchful eye. All of these choices suck, of course they do, but to be a good parent I can't turn my head- but I don't want to chop his balls off either. So we can think about it. We can work something out perhaps.

If he can prove to me that he can be responsible here in the house, then I will feel better about him being responsible outside of the house. Right now, he's just not mature enough to make decisions about girls.

I want to have a good relationship with him. I want him to be able to talk to me cause God knows he can't talk to his dads about this. They are men, they will give man advice and really getting advice from a MAN is no way to be successful with girls.

No comments: