About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Friday, March 09, 2007

It's a swift, spiritual kick to the head that alters your reality forever.

This morning when I was in the shower, Danny threw a book at Gabe. It was one of those cardboard books, so it may have hurt, and Gabe is kind of a sally.... So Gabe was crying and when I went to see what was up, Gabe told me that Danny hurt him by throwing a book.

I called Danny over- and he promptly ignored me. He sat on the floor, with the weapon in question. Slowly turning the pages, as if maybe I would not SEE him if he made no quick movements. I called him again, and again. The 4th time, I "middle named" him and he looked over at me, innocent as the day he was born.

He came over and I asked him, "Did you throw that book at Gabe?" He looked at Gabe, who was still crying- a little too much drama for my tastes- but he looked at Gabe, with his beautiful innocent eyes.

And if you had blinked, you'd have missed it. But I didn't.

Danny, looking towards his older brother who was crying, gave Gabe a glare that burned through the back of his head. A look that said, "Did you fucking TELL on me??" I saw it, and I think even Gabe saw it. It only lasted a second, oooh- but it was there. A look that said, "I am going to hurt you when Mom is not looking." A look that made me think that perhaps it was Danny- the sweet one, the funny one, my favorite one- got the worst trait that his father and I BOTH have.

Moral Flexibility.

It's "situational judgment." The underlying concept is that one is in general a normal, well adjusted citizen, but is also capable of preforming certain deeds which would be considered by others to be outside the normal bounds of socially acceptable behavior.

Now, Kim told me that I should not put these things out there. That I should not assume that my kids will have problems, because that is like inviting them in. But remember what I said before about the acorn and the tree?? And if you know anything about genetics... well, it was bound to happen.

It's not about the universe, it's genetics.

He did say he was sorry, and hugged his brother- but he first just tried to lean in, so Gabe could hug HIM. He was a bit apathetic about it. He didn't mean it. He said a flat, "Sorry Gabe" cause I made him say it. He had already forgotten what Gabe was carrying on about, he just wanted to read his book.

I never asked why he threw the book at Gabe, but I'm sure in Danny's little mind, Gabe had it coming- and he'll do it again if he has to.

No comments: