About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I need a deadline, people.

I don't post here as often as I should. My real life is so insanely boring sometimes and that even the few sparks of interest are sort of drowned out int the monotony.
I got accepted into Grad School. yah me. It's not as if I was worried about NOT getting accepted- the program is not compacted or anything. The entire world is not interested in going into Health Care Administration. Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure that I am dying to spend my life dedicated to health care management either, but it's what I do now- and knowing me, I will probably do for a decade at least. At least.

My enrollment adviser at Walden and I have been talking for almost a year now. I contacted him before my last semester at Long Beach and we have been friends ever since. I even considered going into the MBA program instead, but the adviser for that program was not half as much fun to talk to. I was pleased to go back and work with Evan. He's professional and funny- and truth be told, he's insanely cute. So yesterday he called me to tell me that I had been accepted into the program for my MHA. It's much more exciting to get a call or a letter in the mail rather than an email. Emails can really be kind of anti-climactic. You can't jump up and down, holding your laptop and running around showing the email to people. I mean, you can- but that's lame- and I try not to show my laptop screen to too many people- I just never knew when an IM window will pop up with "What's up, you dirty slut?"

A phone call or a letter in your hand is a cool way to receive good news. In the movies you see people at the mailbox, jumping up and down, family members surrounding them and hugging. Of course I did not jump up and down or anything- but if I wanted to- I could have cause Evan called me. He understands that I wanted the call- and NOT the email. He and I have been working together for almost a year now, we're friends now. We talk about family (me) and travel (him) and school and work. It's been fun and I'm sure I will remain friends with him. 8 days after school starts, he is no longer my adviser and then I am free to flirt shamelessly. Or he is free to flirt back, I guess. very nice.

So I'm a grad student now. How amazing is that? My life is going to run in 8 week increments for the next 2.76 years. $50K more in student loans, making a GRAND total of $90K (and change) that I will have borrowed to supplement my income over 8 total years of college. Grad school is the first time that any of the money I have borrowed will actually go towards tuition. I've have received grants and scholarships that have paid for every dime of my tuition up until now. If I was a two income family, I would never have needed the loans- but you know- the kids gotta eat.

So besides the insane price tag of my education, which really just means that in exchange for me borrowing money to feed everyone, I get an education too- I'm really glad to get back into it. My brain is jello, which is how it always is at the end of summer. I'm slow and bored and dying to study something. I need due dates and homework and index cards.

Somebody teach me something before I slip into a coma.
please.

3 comments:

garbonzo said...

Congrats! That is very exciting news! And, someone new to flirt with (like you needed another...)

Teach you something new...
How about this?
http://www.neatorama.com/2008/08/19/five-hoaxes-that-fooled-the-world/

garbonzo said...

Or was that more of an invite for the whole "Teacher student" fantasy thing?

Old Bogus said...

Since you asked:
Technology, population, speed of travel, food and materials production, communications capabilities, computing power, the decrease in computer size, amount of information known to humanity, and a gamut of other things, are all increasing at an accelerating rate. That is, they are increasing, and the rate at which they are increasing is increasing.

Some mathematicians plotted the asymptotic graphs of all of humanity's technological developments and projected them out to the point where they all, relatively simultaneously, hit infinity. The day that they arrived at is December 21st, 2012. One projected date of "The Singularity." That's the day that some say is when everything as we know it will...change. Drastically.


More details at
http://oldbogus.wordpress.com/the-singularity/

Good luck on grad school. While the technology changes, "they" will need managers in any era.