About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Seldom seen, by anyone!!

Last night in the car I heard on old song that must truly be the most beautifully descriptive, and sappy-ass love song I've ever heard. I knew all the words.

Love, soft as an easy chair.
Love, fresh as the morning air.
One love that is shared by two
I have found with you.

My parents loved A Star is Born when I was growing up. I probably saw the moving 100 times and I know all the words to the entire album by heart. I never paid any attention before really- to how beautiful the lyrics were, cause when you are 8, you don't DO that. From my memory, that love story was not exactly "soft as an easy chair." I've been in love a few times- it's never "soft as an easy chair." Besides, chairs can be a little uncomfortable in the beginning, until you sort of 'work it in'- then it's YOUR chair- but then after a while, you start to question the functionality. Perhaps it's not big enough, not soft enough. Sometimes it becomes too soft. You start to wonder if it was worth the money. And really, is THIS the chair I want to sit in for the rest of my life??

Like a rose, under the April snow.
I was always certain love would grow
Love, ageless and evergreen.
Seldom seen by two.

A rose, under the snow- ok that is a little more like it. Now, living here in California- where it NEVER snows, let alone in April- where it doesn't even always rain, it makes even more sense. To describle love as a rose, under the snow in AUGUST. That sounds more like it. It's bad enough that there is snow, but why the hell is it snowing in AUGUST?? That is more like the love I can understand. Harsh weather at the wrong time- fucking up what is supposed to be delicate and beautiful.

You and I could make each night a first
Everyday a beginning
Spirits rise, and the dance is unrehearsed
They warm and excite us
Cause we have the greatest love
Two lights that shine as one
Morning glory, and midnight sun
Time, we learned to sail above
Time won't change the meaning of
One Love
Ageless and ever Evergreen.

Gee. Sounds nice huh? Lovely. Exciting. New.
Yeah, not buyin it. I think many of us were raised with the ideals that we are going to meet up with the ONE guy who is the perfect guy. Who fills the empty spaces and completes whats missing. I believed this, even though I saw the struggles my mother went thru with my dad- who I believe she truly did love very very much. And even on TV, my other role model. I saw so many movies and tv shows filled with these tumultuous relationships- that really tend to be more reality these days.

But then songs like THIS get into the heads of impressionable young girls. Leaving them to believe that there is a prince charming out there who will ride me, I mean- THEM- away on a white horse, that love is evergreen. My mom was so concerned about me seeing sex tv. Hell, that stuff is real. Sex, if you are lucky, can be the most connected you ever are with yourself- primal and alive.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me. I think it's more realistic to let kids watch sex on TV other than filling them with the fantasy of some evergreen love. I think they are more likely to have the sex.

But then I did sit and sing the whole song??

Hmm, perhaps I just like leaving the door open, just in case.

No comments: