About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Changing directions

I'm becoming somewhat disechanted. I'm finishing this semester and I have one left. My intention is/ was to start my Masters in Public Health program the weekend after graduation. But lately, I've been thinking that perhaps Public Health is not exactly where I want to go. Maybe an advanced degree in Health Care is not where I want to be. I am just not sure, that without clinical experience, nursing etc,. I will not just be educating myself into a life of paperwork and meetings. Do I WANT to spend the rest of my life studying epidemiology? Do I want to run statistics 52 weeks a year for the next 25 years? And I think that is the direction I may be headed, and I don't know that I really WANT that.

So I am looking into an MBA program instead. I can choose a specialty, and I may lean towards marketing. I think I am pretty creative. A large part of my job entails marketing/ advertising stuff. I think an MBA, with an undergraduate degree in Health Care Admin will open more doors than an MPH alone. By the time I'm done, I will have 4 year at the hospital. So I will have hospital experience. I can stay in Health Care- but be able to do more. And even LEAVE healthcare if I want.

I love my job right now. However, I don't live comfortably. Uncomfortable = rent is 45% of my take home pay. I have never been one to job hop for money- and I think that my biggest problem is my own confidence level. I don't sell myself well. I still have a hard time realizing that with my bachelors degree I can demand a higher salary, and even higher with a graduate degree. Not because it doesn't happen, just because it's weird that it would happen to me.

A friend of mine said, "You put WAY more into your effort into your education to get a better job than I ever did, so why shouldn't you make more than me?" I don't know, his job seems important. Mine? Well, I know it IS important, but on a smaller scale. I don't know. I guess until I get my confidence level up, I can have all the education in the WORLD and it still would not get me the job if I don't believe in myself enough to sell it in an interview.

I guess that is my next obstacle, but surely not the only one.

1 comment:

Tammie Jean said...

I know what you mean, Jules. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. But your friend is right - with all the effort you put into your education, you should be more confident in yourself and go for the big bucks. I wish I had your drive and determination!