About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

When we were young

"What childhood activity do you miss?"

I think I've mentioned this before. When I was younger, I was a dancer. Since Kindergarten, I was in Dance classes at a studio in my hometown. I stopped for a few years in my adolescence, but but I went back in High School and danced with a competition team as well as on the Drill Team at school. I only took jazz, at least that was all I took seriously. I did take some tap and ballet classes, but I am not graceful. While I think my technique and precision was decent, my body never flowed. In ballet class, I felt like drunk elephant trying to balance on a beachball.

I stopped dancing after high school graduation and never went back. I am not sure what happened. I miss it, but I know that I could never really do that again. I don't have the time, and really, dancing has changed a LOT since back then. Sometimes I see my old dance instructor (the same guy through all those years in the studio) around town, he also still lives in the same town as me. He rarely recognizes me. He drinks alot. Seeing him reminds me that times change, things change and the things we enjoy change too. I think that is what happened when I was in high school. I was dancing in Drill Team, as well as the competition group. It stopped being fun for me. Some of the group went on to be very sucessful. I was good, but I was never that good.

I love thinking about those days, but I would not want them back. I can look back, remember the old moves, like the summer competition routine we did to "The Twist" by the Fat Boys. Truth be told, I still remember the first half of that routine- but I'd probably hurt myself if I tried to do it now!!

Sometimes it's ok for the things you loved in your childhood, to stay in your childhood.

1 comment:

Lori M said...

You sure have some damn cute kids! :) Luv ya!