About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas morning.

The kids are napping. The morning started at 6:45. Gabriel was so excited to see if Santa came. It was really cute. Last year, he didn't quite get it. Danny didn't get it this year. He didn't want to get out of bed.

E-husband did not get out of bed, but this is nothing new.

Once the kids went threw their presents, favorites were identified. Gabe's favorite was a spiderman toy that was meant for him, but I let Danny open because Gabe had more presents. Danny's favorite was a 2 inch rocket pen (pen part removed) that I got from a vendor at work that lights up and has that blue oil/ lava effect. Cost= $0.00

Alex is with his dad so he will get his presents later tonight. It was a nice morning until I had to start putting together my vegetable platter to take with me this afternoon. I could not find the dip package that I bought, so I had to go to the store to buy a new one. The store? On Christmas morning? FAT CHANCE!

What was open was the local "groceria."

Let me tell you what I can surmise from my trip to my local mexican grocer.

Mexicans do not do dip.

There was no dip. No premade dip, no dry dip packages. Not even the Hidden Valley Dip Mix. Just salad dressing. And no onion soup mix either. Apparently Mexicans also so not eat onion soup from a package. I was thinking of things I had at home that I could make dip with, I considered buying a bottle of spices, like a cajun mix and pouring some into the sour cream- but I just didn't know how that would taste and I do not like to wing it. I don't wing with food. I am not a wing-er in the kitchen. Publicly being the LEAST homemakerish of my mom's daughters, I don't want want it to be OBVIOUS when I am being domestically inept. I can't bring salt, pepper and garlic mixed with sour cream and call it dip. So I did the next best thing. I called my mother in law for some advice.

She shared with me the secret of the dip I loved so much on Sunday.

Taco Bell meat seasoning.

A-ha!! They definitely had taco seasoning at la groceria. One package of Taco Bell meat seasoning + 8 ounces of sour cream and Julie not only looks competent in the kitchen, but creative as well. I have an appetizer dish from Tupperware. I did the fancy peeling on the cucumbers. And yes, mother, I did the zig zag flower thing with the radishes. I would never shame your domestic highness by sloppily presenting my vegetables.



Merry Christmas everyone.

-julie

No comments: