About Me

My photo
Using my 40's as a do-over for my thirties, only smarter. I often mistake the bees and honey reference with the one about free milk and a cow. This might explain my whole life.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

unfancy

I don't have a lot of nice clothes. I mean, I dont' walk around in rags, but my wardrobe consists of basics. Lately, mostly scrub pants and t-shirt type tops. I do have some nicer pants. By nicer, I mean, nicer than scrub pants- but not really "nice." So every year when I go to this holiday party, I am at a loss for what to wear.

Last year I wore pants and a low cut top and jacket. It was nice enough. I wasn't fancy. I'm NOT fancy. In years past I have worn dresses that I bought for the occasion. Semi-fancy, but I never felt gorgeous in any of them. This year will be no different.

I was going to wear the dress I wore two years ago. I went out today and bought some shoes and nylons for it. I bought the dreaded thigh high nylons, because I'm on my period, and it is really a bitch having to pull nylons on and off all night- so I bought these to save me the trouble. E-husband raised an eyebrow when he saw me pull the thigh highs up my leg. Of course, I almost fell forward trying to balance my fat-assness on one leg.

I also picked up another outfit that I thought looked cute, because it was 50% off. I thought maybe I would wear it tonight. I thought wrong. It was just wrong. It was a red velvet top that looked really cute on the hanger- but really NOT cute on me. The skirt I got in black, so that was ok. Ehusband asked me to try the dress on, but I had already decided on the dress because I hated the red velvet top. So I put it on, and it looked and felt like it always had. He said, "I liked the other outfit."

Crap. He likes the other outfit? The one I hate?? The one that makes me look like a whore in Santa's village??

I have a few other tops that might be ok, one looks good- only if I show cleavage equal to just walking out in a bra. I really don't want to spend anymore time shopping for this. I want to enjoy the party. I think I'm going to go with the velvet skirt and a thin, see through-ish purple and gold top that I got from a friend. I don't know if the materials match. I don't think I care anymore.

I refuse to allow my inability to find a nice outfit make me not want to go to this party! Because really, nobody is going to notice. I don't see these people every day. It's just not a big deal.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

Same here, Julie, I don't have a lot of fancy clothes, couldn't be bothered to go out and hunt down new ones every year.

I stay home and write all day anyway.

Have a great time at the party!